Table Makeover

My break from jewelry making continues, and I thought I could spruce up my work table while I’m not using it to work on jewelry. The front of this table’s drawers were white earlier, and though I didn’t really dislike that, some color would definitely make the table cheerier to look at. My sister has a few jars of chalk paint that she’d used a while ago to give a new look to some furniture in her room, and I borrowed a few of these paints for my redecoration project.

Before starting the paint job, I removed the drawers from the table, and wiped them clean with soapy water followed by clean water. I then masked the sides of the drawers. The drawers are made from MDF, and have some slight texture to them that I wanted to retain, so I didn’t sand them.

Table drawer makeover with chalk paint

Table drawer makeover with chalk paint

My first painting attempt didn’t go as I’d planned, and I even ended up with an accidental splotch of paint that spoiled the look of the piece, so I wiped the surfaces clean with water again. (This is a welcome advantage of chalk paints for clumsy new painters like me – do-overs are pretty easy.)

For my second, and final, attempt, I was a bit more careful with the paint. I also changed my original design just a little bit. I think I also got a bit more comfortable with the painting process, and the result was much better than earlier.

I painted the bottom half of the length of the drawers with a lighter paint. Then, I painted the top half with darker paint. I added a random pattern of circles to the lower half by brushing the rim of a small sized lid with bright paints and pressing the lid onto the painted surface. Finally, I added another coat of darker paint to the top half since it was still looking uneven. It’s still uneven on closer inspection, but that doesn’t matter much to me.

The advantage that I mentioned earlier – of chalk paint reacting to water even after application – becomes a disadvantage when the project is finished 🙂 so I ended up applying a layer of wax on the drawers, and buffed it very slightly, to increase the paint’s staying power.

I’m pretty happy with the result, and love the new look of my table!

Advertisements

A makeover

I had these two large beads with various etched amorphous patterns on them, which I’d set aside to make simple earrings — by which I mean just stringing a head-pin through each of them, making eye-loops at the top, and attaching findings. I set to work on the first one. Just when I finished making the eye-loop from the head-pin, the bead chipped. Gasp! 😮

The chip was visible, but hadn’t damaged the bead itself much, so my sister and I thought I could use one of her metallic paints to completely re-coat both beads. (I am so glad she has loads of painterly stuff for her cardmaking!) So I used a gold paint, painted one side of each bead, let them dry, and painted the other side. After both beads were fully dry, I added a coating of mod podge to both of them in the same manner. Beads ready post-makeover and reporting for duty again! 😎

This time, I was more careful while working with the wire, and here are the resulting beauties!

Earrings from a makeover