Here’s a recent art journal spread that I made –
This spread was the result of another fix-up session. I started out by brushing gesso over my spread, and trying for a background involving paint lifting of acrylics by using stencils. I’m not sure what the problem was, but the paint lifting didn’t turn out well at all.
So I changed tracks, and decided to try out some light-and-shadow drawing over the failed background. I’d recently had the chance to check out some illustrations from The Sandman comics, and was inspired by the strong contrasts between light and dark that are used there.
I’m not so good that I can come up with something like that on my own, so I looked up some high-contrast monochrome images for reference, and penciled an outline on the background. I brushed some acrylic paints at the edges before I started the coloring.
I used a few shades of blue Copic markers to fill up the shadowed areas. Again, I’m not sure why, but the marker ink didn’t settle in some areas at all (like the shadowed cheek.) At this point, I just wanted to enjoy the coloring, so I didn’t bother much about it.
I added more character to the background by stamping on it using dye inks. I also stamped a quote using dye inks on a different piece of paper, used some watercolor pencils over it, fussy cut the words, and adhered them onto the background.
To complete the spread, I added some white acrylics splatters (though they’re not very visible.) Ta da!
With this spread, I’m joining these challenges –